Friday 9 August 2013

// 005 // LETS ROCK // SWEET CHILD O' MINE // GUNS 'N' ROSES

If Iron Maiden made me want to learn to play guitar, Guns 'n' Roses made me want to be A ROCK STAR.  I mean, sure, those guys from Iron Maiden made good music, but they seemed a little, well, boring. Bruce Dickinson seemed really posh and the rest of the band came across as down to earth and a little at odds with the noises they made on stage.

Guns 'n' Roses came with swagger, attitude and a guy with a big hat.  Plus girls seemed to like their music, and that seemed like something that might be important one day soon, as my teenage hormones prepared to crank themselves up to wreak havock on my poor unsuspecting self.

When I started compliling this list, I listend to a lot of my old heavy metal albums, and a lot of it seemed pretty cliched, some of it downright awful and at least one song made me laugh out loud at how terrible it was (Hello Sacred Reich...) but this tune never quite left my ipod and how could it?  That guitar intro is just majestic! It has actual human feelings in it - an aspect lacking from most heavy metal, where anger is the only discernable mood in most bands catalogue - and you could kind of dance to it, rather than just mosh, if that was your thing of course.

 

This song was, of course, as close to the mainstream as it was acceptable for a young mosher to go.  Liking 'trendy' music was anathema to us.  Chart songs were death, pop was some sort of lower life, to be mocked, hated and ignored.  Every non-metal head was a person to be converted.  I used to turn up to parties like a Jehova's Witness with a mix-tape or two in my pocket to try and bring the unsuspecting into the metal fold.  At least one tape was flushed down the toilet...

Still, I was young and didn't know any better...

No comments:

Post a Comment