Wednesday 7 August 2013

// INTRODUCTION //

Welcome to 40 for 40. I assume you have some questions, so let's take them one at a time

1. What is 40 for 40?

That, my friend, is a a perfect question, put perfectly and with perfect timing.  Have an apple. 40 for 40 started life as a playlist on my iPod.  I thought, in a wave of oh-my-lord-I'm-turning-40 induced nostalgia, that it might fun to boil down the 18,000 songs into one short list that kind of summed up my musical life to date. One song for every year, to be precise. The more I thought about it, it seemed like it would be fun to blog said list, preserving it for posterity and also it could be fun to write, although not necessarily to read...

2.  Sounds good.  Then why in the name of all the monkeys are there 120 songs on this increasingly mis-named blog?

Did you not see the part about the 18,000 songs? I decided to split the songs into categories and then award a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize.  Kind of like the egg-and-spoon race on sports day, although no sympathy prize for the wheezy, unfit kid (my shelves are groaning with those anyway)

3.  Is this some kind of stealth autobiography, like some kind of dreadful Nick Hornby thing?

Yes, and in the movie of this blog, I WILL be played by either John Cusack or Micheal Fassbender.

4.  I see, it's a bit self indulgent isn't it?

Since my fanzine folded after only one issue, the NME, Select and Smash Hits rejected my articles, blogging is the only way I have to blah on about the things I love.  I will fight anyone who disagrees with my choices and if just one person discovers 'Slanted and Enchanted' through this blog, then my job here is done

5.  You do realize that most people will think the blog is broken and they are getting an 'error 404' message, not actually seeing the title of the blog?   

Only idiots like you would think that

6.  Will there be links to this so-called music?

Yes, that's what youtube is for. Apart from the songs that are so obscure they were only released on ca-single in Bolivia.  Does that answer all your questions?

Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment