Tuesday 13 August 2013

// 009 // IS IT GETTING HEAVY? // SECRET GARDEN // THE BEYOND

One of the things about getting into any kind of music is how cool it is to explore the genre.  Someone gives you an Iron Maiden tape, you head down to the local Morrisons to snap up Powerslave and Stranger In A Strange Land.  Soon you have the entire Iron Maiden back catalogue, so you scour the pages of Metal Hammer looking for news of a new Iron Maiden release.

And in the mean-time, you start to explore the other big names of the genre.  Soon you are inahbiting the basement of Crash Records, flicking through the Thrash section for the other big names.  Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax.  Vinyl is bought, tapes swapped and soon you have a pretty comprehensive collecton of the more well known works.  But it's still not enough.  The reviews sections of magazines are scrutinized even more for things like 'if you like Metallica, you might like this band' and then the more obscure bands, the ones that never make the charts - not even the Heavy Metal Chart on The Chart Show - are part of your ever expanding collection.


By this time I was going to see gigs, stage diving like a proper mosher, with my long hair and my leather jacket.  But because the big bands only toured once in a blue moon - and the usually only playing huge venues that involved coach trips - I started going to see any metal band that came anywhere near Leeds or Bradford.  And once I saw a band called The Beyond, and fell in love.  As far as I know, they only made one album before disappearing, which was a shame because they were great.  And pretty obscure too, which gave them a certain aura of cool in my record collection.  They were also, perhaps a sign of the fact that I was growning out of my metal days as they were pretty subtle by comparison to a lot of the other stuff I was listening to.  Plus they didn't sing about death and the devil all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment